Responsive SharePoint for SharePoint 2016

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:44 AM
Hi,

My organization is looking to implement Responsive Design in SharePoint 2016.

After searching for some time, we came upon this CodePlex project.

Currently, we are looking to show a demo site using SharePoint 2016 Beta 2.

Are there plans to port this solution to SharePoint 2016?

Thanks,,
Amol
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Yes, we will be porting to 2016 as well as porting Bootstrap 4 to 2013/2016/SPO.

This project should work though as is in 2016 although I have not had a chance to review with the beta. The reason why is that master page / page layout / branding in 2016 has not really changed at all.

Eric
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM
The solution provided with this kit is very useful but MS PnP Shared powershell script to make SP 2013/2016 team sites responsive. Follow the link. It is meant for on-prem but I tested on SPO and works just fine.

https://github.com/OfficeDev/PnP-Tools/tree/master/Solutions/SharePoint.UI.Responsive
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM
I have spent a bit of time with the PnP solution MS recently provided to enable a responsive interface to OOTB SPO/2013/2016. It is a great proof of concept, and how MS now allows the injection of JS and CSS without having to update the master page is excellent, but beyond that I would not deploy this to production as is.

That is not to say it is not a great base. In all fairness the purpose of Responsive SharePoint is intended to be a starting place for your Bootstrap/Foundation enabled project. What is good about the PnP solution is that is does not require you to modify the master page, but be careful if you end the CSS/JS to target elements by ID's, classnames or DOM position as SPO will continue to change and evolve.

If you want to customize a simple team site with custom colors and you want basic responsive abilities, the PnP solution merits your attention, but if you are looking to build a custom portal, even on SPO, I still have to say you are more than likely going to have to go with a custom master page.

Just my thoughts.

Eric