Use our own master page?

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM
First, thank you for making this project, we think it's great!

One question: Is is possible to use our own master page in the Responsive.Server Project?
We pretty much just use Seattle.master only we changed the colors a bit with css. We've done a similar thing to the mysite master page that was delivered.

What is the best route, if possible, to making that happen?
Coordinator
Nov 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM
You could definitely add your own custom master page(s) to the VS project, but this would likely only help with redeploying your custom master pages. If you wanted to use the responsive behavior that was added to the master pages and page layouts in this project, then you will really need to use the master pages in this project, or you could add your customizations into the master pages we provide.

Trying to add responsive features from this project into your existing master pages is definitely possible, but then this project should be used primarily as a guide. You could see how we did it and then apply these principles to your custom branding.
Dec 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I have completely revamped the OTB master page provided by this project by simply copying it after i have successfully installed it into SP. I find the easiest method is to copy and rename the master page (all done in SPD2013) then add an additional CSS file after all the existing CSS stuff...pretty much like you would do with any master page. Use the BS version as the basis of want you want to do.

I have found that you don't really need to make many changes to the layout of the MP, instead focus on making your own page layouts etc to suit your needs.