What is the step in upgrading SharePoint 2010/13 branding solutions?

May 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM
Edited May 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Say you created a SharePoint branding solution in a Dev environment using Visual Studio and later deployed into UAT/Prod site collection gallery i.e. as wsp file. After a while say you were tasked to tweak the master page or wanted to create a new page layout or probably made some change in the solution file i.e. in your Dev environment.

What steps would you follow in upgrading your UAT/Prod branding solution without first affecting the currently deployes branding?

Thanks
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM
With SP 2013, this is an easier task. Modules can be created in such a way as to have files that will actually overwrite an existing file if a file already exists.

Therefore, I have a dev site that I point my VS solution to so that I can develop and test my new branding. I then package this into a new wsp.

On UAT, I would then deactivate my branding feature and remove it using either powershell or the browser if it is a sandboxed solution.

I then install my update and activate the feature again. As long as your module is set up correctly, your feature will add you new page layout(s), update branding elements, etc.

There is an "update" feature of solutions but I have found this to be more trouble than it is worth to actually get to work. I prefer the uninstall / reinstall technique.

Eric