This project is read-only.

How to come up with my own design using your awesome effort

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM
I am new to sharepoint 2013 and designing seems a steep learning for me cause of responsive design factor..I am a old SharePoint 2010 designing guy who use to mess up with CoreV4 and override CSS..then mess with masterpage in designer and play with menus.

I have a SharePoint 2013 brand new server (Enterprise) should I go for foundation or bootstrap..secondly..using your masterpage how to come up with my own company's branding like this one ..See this Layout I want

Would appreciate your patience with a newbie like me in SP 2013 branding world :)
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Hi,

I suggest the Bootstrap 3 framework as a starting place. Bootstrap has the largest user base and I think the grid is solid.

You will not be editing the covev15.css file or any OOTB SP file for that matter, rather you will be overriding with custom CSS in a custom stylesheet that loads after the SP OOTB branding assets. All of this is already set up in any of this project's frameworks.

As for your design, I do not see anything particularly challenging. I believe your biggest headaches will be learning "responsive" in general. Although this project seeks to help you get over the initial hurdles of RWD and SP, there is still a lot of RWD theory and CSS that is worth spending time learning.

My suggestion then is to load one of this project's installs on a 2013 dev web app and play around with it. See how things work and make some changes and see what happens. After that, spend time in your browser's dev toolbar and get to know the css.

I hope this helps.

Eric.
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks for guiding me in right direction. Just one last thing I would like to ask about the bootstrap 3 masterpage. I was reading about design manager and dreamweaver CC that how to design webpage in dreamweaver and add snippets into html and convert into masterpage using design manager. Since you already uploaded the masterpage there so my question is should I download SharePoint 2013 designer to get the copy of your masterpage and add my branding there and upload back? this is what I want to know so I can start working on it.

Would appreciate your comments.
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Hi,

You do not need to use SPD, you can continue to use DW if you want. In this project we are providing both the HTML Master Page and ,master Master Page. You actually only need to upload the HTML Master Page into SP as SP will automatically create the .master (and .aspx for HTML Page Layouts) for you. You might need to set the content type for your HTML Master Page in the Master Page Gallery first, but that should be all.

So, you do not "need" SPD, but I will say that I am still a fan of it. I personally use SPD as I think it is faster and I like that I can still check assets out and in via the client rather than having to load in a browser.

Eric
Mar 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Hello Eric,

Thanks for this project as it is very helpful for us who are still new in RWD for SharePoint 2013.

I deployed RioLinx.SharePoint.Responsive.Server.wsp in Office365/SPO and I could only see .master file. You mentioned that you will also provide the HTML masterpage but I could not find it :( Is it available already? Thanks so much for the help.
Mar 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. The WSP solution installed fine but it only includes the .master files and not the .html files.

The "Bootstrap 2 for SharePoint 2013 - Beta 1.1.13" design package download seems to include both the .master and .html but the "Responsive SharePoint (2013) WSP Edition v1.0.0" only includes the .master versions. Scratching my head over this one.
Mar 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I was also looking at the "Bootstrap 3 for SharePoint 2013 - Beta V1.0.1" which does include both .master and .html version of the masterpage file. Figured i'd download and it try it out. The zip file download in includes an "Install Instructions" folder but it's empty. :-(