Bootstrap 2 for SharePoint 2010 non-publishing site is not responsive

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Hi Eric,

First of all thank you for the great work!!!

I installed Bootstrap 2 for non-publishing SharePoint 2010 site i.e. from here, https://responsivesharepoint.codeplex.com/releases/view/100318. However, the resulting Team site is not responsive. Is there anything I missed?
Dec 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM
This is a good question as I one I want answered wrt to SharePoint 2013 non-publishing sites. Section 4 re the issues with implementing responsive on non publishing sites
Dec 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Dear SharePointers,

Since my Team site which has the "Non-publishing Bootstrap 2 SharePoint 2010" master page is not working as expected (see my initial question on this thread above), I then resorted to converting my Team site, by activating the Publishing feature. I later applied the "Publishing Bootstrap 2 SharePoint 2010" branding master pages/Page Layouts into my Team site. As expected I saw responsiveness in the site which made me very happy. However, depending on the number of columns selected as well as the type of content each columns have, I see some challenge in my Document library/List views. Basically, pages that have these views are not responsive. I thought the "Non-publishing bootstrap 2 SharePoint 2010" code would help in solving this issue. I am still waiting from those folks who have solved this issue.

In applying the "Publishing Bootstrap 2" code to a Team site, I faced another issue with those list types such as Calendar, Tasks,etc.. that have a Description column. The issue was that I couldn't enter data into the Description column as it was grayed. I solved the issue by editing the Description column's "type of text to allow" property. By default such types of lists have a Description column with text type selected as "Rich text (Bold, italics, text alignment, hyperlinks)". Changing this property to "Enhanced rich text (Rich text with pictures, tables, and hyperlinks)" solved the problem.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Hi,

We updated our B2 install package in version V 1.0.5 to fix for the non-publishing version for SP2010. You should be able to use this Master Page without the publishing infrastructure.

Your other observation has been a thorn in my side for a while. What is the best method to handle large (wide) lists that SP generates OOTB in mobile (narrow) views? I do not have a blanket answer for you. I have toyed with jQuery based responsive table techniques but nothing works in all situations. I have also said forget it and have just offered horizontal scrolling for these wide tables in mobile views. Again not ideal, but it has worked for some projects.

If anyone can offer how they handled wide tables, please let us know, even if you can only provide theory or pseudocode.

Eric
Feb 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Thank you Eric.
You might have seen this but I just want to emphasize that Erik's solution as outlined here, http://erikswenson.blogspot.ca/2014/01/sharepoint-2013-responsive-table-columns.html, might help to resolve the issue we are having regarding multi-column lists/libraries.

Starkey
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Starkey,

I had not seen this solution, that you for sharing it with us. I like it, a great idea.

Eric