This project is read-only.

Overflow

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Some pages like the termstoremanager.aspx will overflow. Is there a best practice to solve these issues?

May 1, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Hi,

Yes, but you will probably not like my answer.

That answer being that the term store and other admin pages should not be used in mobile devices. This would include also not allowing inline editing of the navigation bars on mobile devices. I would even go so far as to recommending that you do not allow editing pages on mobile devices, or at least anything smaller than a tablet.

Yes, that deserves a longer explanation.

The Term Store uses some very interesting JavaScript that only works well in IE. Trying to make this all work on a mobile device with a touch screen is going to be a headache. I will admit that I haven't tried it myself, but I would rather not want to either. What you could try is to add additional styling in media queries to drop the right pane down under the left term tree. Getting this to scale well will be a challenge.

Now as for my other comments, touch devices are tricky right now because SharePoint likes to use the hover event so much. Also there is quite a lot of baked in JavaScript. My general comment to customers is that mobile viewing of your sites is fine but be careful with allowing updating. For WCM, this is a no brainer. For Intranets and Extranets this is more problematic. I would at least limit the editing of the navigation inline. As for editing content on touch devices, yes, I can see the business cases where that would be a requirement. If that is the case you will need to be selective with your media queries to make sure that editing zones properly scale.

And don't forget to test, test and test before sending your solutions out into the wild. Make sure the UX is positive.

I hope this helps.

Eric