Publishing ElementsContentType.xml manifest missing crucial content type

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
It appears that if you change the navigation from Managed Navigation to Structural Navigation you will receive the following error.

Invalid field name. {50631c24-1371-4ecf-a5ae-ed41b03f4499}

From what gather the following FieldRef is missing in the ElementsContentType.xml manifest file.

<FieldRef Name="PublishingIsFurlPage" ID="{50631c24-1371-4ecf-a5ae-ed41b03f4499}"/>
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Hi,

The template itself should not be attempting to override any of these features such as OOTB content types or the navigation structure requirements. It sounds as though the Design Package is causing the problems.

The more I have been working with Design Packages, the more I believe them to not be good solutions for transferring designs between farms. Design Packages are only supposed to include updated assets but they include the seattle and oslo master pages as well as content types and columns that are OOTB. This provides the possibility for duplicate content on a site.

My suggestion would be to not use the design package, instead use the .html and other branding files. Please see if that fixes the problem and we will investigate how we might edit the design package.

Thanks.

Eric
Mar 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM
After a lot more testing, Import Design Packages is completely broken.

See my blog post http://www.bondbyte.com/blog/sharepoint-2013-design-packages-broken/

Basically, I can export and import in the same farm and cause the problem. It doesn't matter if I'm using the package distributed here or one we've built in house.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM
CoderBond,

Excellent research, very useful blog post. I was searching around for more answers to this issue and came across a technet post.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/73c5fb6b-c346-4b7e-bef2-74865d05d1c5

I added my findings to that post to see if anyone else has a solution to this issue. In the development environment we are using to build and test Bootstrap for SP 2013, we have a Page Content Type with the limited list of columns that you are seeing but I was able to find a site on one of my other servers that has a Page Content Type "with" those additional columns. They appear to be related to a public facing site but I have not found "how" to ensure they are added. I created additional sites and could not get them to include the additional page content type columns.

If anyone finds out please tell us so that we can include this in our documentation as I agree, this is a huge issue with Design Packages.