This project is read-only.

Directory and File Structure for Bootstrap Responsive SharePoint Sites

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM
Good day.

I use the bootstrap responsive files for the SharePoint 2013 Online environment. Work fine.

I put the bootstrap directory and all files in the catalog/masterpage directory. However, I noticed that the wps installation puts them master files directly in the master-page directory and the style files in the style-library directory.

Questions:
  1. Where do designers/programmers typically put directories/files in SharePoint as a rule/default?
  2. Why?
Thank you for your help.
Dawn Quinn
Feb 17, 2015 at 12:58 AM
It is almost now a matter of preference.

In the SP 2010 days, we kept custom master pages and custom page layouts within the master page gallery, but branding elements such as css, js and images were moved to the style library.

In SP 2013, we moved our branding assets to the master page gallery as well. I find this is easier when working with HTML Master Pages as it is more easy to reference your css and js files as SP helps track the relative locations of these files. You can still place your branding assets in the style library though and many still do, such as in the WSP.

Another reason why you might want to keep your branding assets in the Style Library is if you intend to use composed looks and the themeing engine. In this case SP will only look in the Style Library/themable folder and Style LIbrary/en-us/themable folder for themable stylesheets.

There is not straight answer to your question. I personally add all branding assets to the master page gallery as it is all nice, tight and clean. All of my branding files are in one place.

Eric
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Thank you for the insight. I have been putting everything in Master Page Gallery. However, I installed the Responsive Bootstrap-3 solution and the assets went to the Style Library. I assume I can move them as needed back to the Master page Gallery.

Thanks again.
Dawn