Removing Top nav bar gets Unexpected Error message

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Hi,

There is a content place holder:
<!--MS:<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="PlaceHolderTopNavBar" runat="server">-->
    <!--MS:<SharePoint:AspMenu runat="server" UseSeparateCss="false" AdjustForShowStartingNode="True" StaticDisplayLevels="2" AccessKey="1" SkipLinkText="" CssClass="nav-container" EnableViewState="False" MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="3" UseSimpleRendering="True" DataSourceID="topSiteMap" Orientation="Horizontal" ID="TopNavigationMenu">-->
    <!--ME:</SharePoint:AspMenu>-->
<!--ME:</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>-->
In that block. Ideally HTML Master Page's should not need all content place holders, but it is possible that is what is causing an error. There is no other error provided?

Eric
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
HTML Master Pages are used by Design Manager to create .net master pages, i.e. .master files. The .master is what SP actually uses to display a particular page. One of the issues with .net master pages is that if a content page requires a particular contentplaceholder, than if the Master page does not have this placeholder the content page is using, an error will occur.

In SP 2010, we had to always move all unwanted content placeholders to a hidden div at the bottom of the page in a .master as again, SP did require that all content place holders be available. This limitation still exists in SP2013, although if you use HTML Master Pages than SP is supposed to help manage these unused content placeholders for you.

I believe that in your case when you removed the PlaceHolderTopNavBar ContentPlaceholder from your HTML Master Page, Design Manager did not in fact add this back for you into the .master, and thus an error was thrown as this content placeholder is/was needed by your content page.
Eric
Marked as answer by CodePlexAdmin on 12/3/2014 at 11:50 AM