This project is read-only.

Responsive Team Site

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Hello,
  1. We are using SharePoint Server 2013 since January 2014 and it was set up by a vendor and they used Team site template. The SharePoint Server 2013 is the standard edition. Is it possible to make team site responsive using bootstrap3-nonpublishing masterpage?
  2. How could we create our own custom page layout such as orbit page layout, sidebar page layout etc. without programming?
Many thanks!
--Aroh
Nov 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Hi,

Yes, the nonpublishing master page should work for you. Since you have a standard license, you have publishing available to you. Have you enabled the site collection and web features? Or do you want to?

That leads to your second question. Without publishing enabled, you cannot create custom page layouts. If you stick with only team sites, i.e. using the text or wiki layout, then you cannot set predefined page layouts.

Be aware that if you do enable publishing, content pages added to the "pages" library can use custom page layouts but content pages added to the "sitepages" library cannot use page layouts.

You can create custom page layouts if you use the publishing infrastructure using SharePoint Designer. You will need to be comfortable with HTML, but you should not need a heavy dev to complete such tasks.

Eric
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Thanks Eric for your reply ..

We have already trained our end-users how to use team site text layout features and we already trained more than 7-8 departments in couple of months. Now, we train them again publishing layout, the users will get more confused as they are using team site template for many months.

The requirement is coming from the management to make SharePoint site responsive. Therefore, I used non-publishing for team site. I followed the documentation and used “Bootstrap3-nonpublishing.master” (B3-SharePoint2013-BetaV1.0.2)and made a default master page. I received the error:

The DataSourceID of 'V4QuickLaunchMenu' must be the ID of a control of type IHierarchicalDataSource. A control with ID 'QuickLaunchSiteMap' could not be found.

Description:An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The DataSourceID of 'V4QuickLaunchMenu' must be the ID of a control of type IHierarchicalDataSource. A control with ID 'QuickLaunchSiteMap' could not be found.

Stack Trace:

I checked the issue https://responsivesharepoint.codeplex.com/workitem/1581 and tried to slot code in the “Bootstrap3-nonpublishing.master” . There was no error but the layout was weird and master page was not responsive. Any help would be appreciated.
Dec 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM
It sounds as though there is still a file possibly not loading as fixing the navigation control should not affect the responsiveness of the site itself.

Please be aware that the master page should be responsive, that being the header and top nav, but the content itself is being controlled by the "text layout" which is not something that is straightforward to make "Responsive" as the text layout can be controlled by the content author.

Eric