IE11, Tasks List and Edit Page compatibility issues

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Here is the problem I am facing:

Most responsive master pages use X-UA-Compatible with IE=edge, which means that an Internet Explorer browser will try to use its highest document mode: IE9 for IE9, IE10 for IE10 and IE11 for IE11.

What I have found out is that in IE11, a Tasks list no longer shows up when the site is using a responsive master page (such as the Bootstrap 3 master page) because of some weird JavaScript XPath error. The only way to make the Tasks List work is to set X-UA-Compatible with IE=10, effectively forcing IE11 to use the IE10 document mode.

An unfortunate side effect of that IE10 setting is that you can no longer edit a page. I have found a workaround, which is to the site to the Compatibility View, but I find that pretty inconvenient.

Does this mean that IE11 is not compatible with SharePoint responsive master pages, or master pages that use X-UA-Compatible with IE=edge in general? Or is there an HTML-only fix to that issue?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestion,

Raphael.
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Hi Raphael,

SharePoint 2013 does not work perfectly well with IE11 yet. You will find better compatibility as additional cumulative updates are provided by Microsoft but at this point I suggest setting X-UA-Compatible to either IE9 and IE10. You mention you are not able to update a page in IE11 when set to IE 10 mode though? This i have not seen, try IE9 mode.

In general I have found little difference between IE9 to IE11 so hopefully IE9 will do the trick for you, or try patching SP to the last patch and see if that helps.

Eric