This project is read-only.

Does this responsive master page work for IE8 ?

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM
I downloaded this project and added all the files to the sharepoint 2010 as per the instructions document.

The site works fine (responsive) for google chrome browser. But it doesn't work (responsive) in IE 8 browser.

Is there anything that has to be done for IE version 8 specifically ? And I am using sharepoint 2010 version.
Jun 25, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Are you using the respond.min.js file in your master page? That should handle adding support for the media queries.
        <!--[if lte IE 8]>
            <script src="scripts/respond.min.js">//<![CDATA[//]]></script>
    <![endif]-->
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I have found that the different responsive libraries do not work overly well for IE8 but it is a good stop gap.

A second way to look at this though is why does IE8 need to be responsive? IE8 is for the desktop, and you can give more weight to the argument that you can provide a fixed width experience for IE8 users. Ok, not the best answer, but another stopgap.

Another solution is to use JS, similar to how respond.min.js works, but use your own class names. I used this type of strategy for https://www.calvet.ca.gov/. Check this site out in IE8 and look how the class element of the <html> tag changes based on width. Simple JS to make this work.

Eric