This project is read-only.

Marrying Responsive SharePoint Bootstrap with an existing site

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Hi,

I am curious if I can bring the Bootstrap into an existing site? I've read through the documentation.pdf and didn't see any info. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM
Hi Chris,

Yes, you should be able to deploy the master page, branding and sample page layouts to an existing site. Just make sure that you do not overwrite existing branding files, which should not be a problem as we choose Bootstrap specific folder names and file names.

That being said, you will probably have to customize the master page and page layouts to match your existing site's needs, but that is normally expected as well as this framework was designed to be a solid starting place for RWD.

To install, follow the standard installation instructions. That will get you the master page and branding assets. For page layouts, install the package page layouts, but assume that you will either need to move the package page layout html to your existing page layouts, or move your existing page layout controls to package page layouts, just be aware that with this route you will need to reset your content pages to use the new page layouts.

Eric
Mar 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Thanks so much Eric, I'm excited to give this a whirl!!

Be Great,

Chris
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Here's a short testimonial from a successful and happy customer -- me.

It turned out to be a mechanically simple thing to do. There was some fiddling with style elements, but that was to be expected. Other than that, a good file comparison tool proved to be all I really needed.

Moral of the story: do it.
Apr 9, 2014 at 9:13 PM
What file compression tool did you end up using?

Eric