This project is read-only.

bootstrap responsive does not work on system master page

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Hi,

I found that the fixed container of bootstrap does not work on the system master page. The content go out of the container. It only happens to system pages but work well on the normal pages.
See screenshot:
The top menu shows how wide the container is. all page content fit in the container in normal pages, but when I go to system pages (including lists library), the content will go out of the place.

Please advise? Thanks.
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Hi,

One of the big issues with responsive and SharePoint. Those darn wide tables.

We decided not to apply a fix to this with these frameworks. There are many ways in which you can make wide tables work within responsive sites, similar in fact as to how to correct this issue in fixed width sites. We did not want to force a particular solution on everyone.

A few include:
  • Use JavaScript to look for this overflow and if it is found, force the width of the site to size that contains all content.
  • Set the overflow to auto of one of the containers that contains the wide table. This will provide scroll bars within the design for wide tables. You could even use JavaScript to help determine if overflow is needed so it is only applied when required.
  • Look into a jQuery plugin that provides methods to rework tables as they are responsive.
When you decide which method you use, please share what you can as I am sure many others would like some ideas and solutions as well.

I hope this helps.

Eric
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply Eric. I will look into these options.
Cheers
Aug 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM
You can also set:

tr{display:block}

EB