Problem with page layouts

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Using Bootstrap in Sharepoint 2013:

I got the bootstrap master page to work on a Team site with publishing feature activated and it is responsive. Page layouts were converted successfully with the packaged WSP file. However, when I edit a page I cannot see the 6 page layouts in the actual selection for page layouts, I only see the default packaged ones. Moreover, I can see the page layouts in "Design Manager -> Edit Page Layouts" and their status indicate "Conversion Successful" but when I click on any of them I get the following error and cannot preview them:

Sorry, something went wrong
An unexpected error has occurred.
Technical Details

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: d0d82b9c-8f56-d068-0909-7a666dd05ecc
Date and Time: 7/4/2013 2:29:34 PM

Any idea of what I did wrong/how to fix this?
Jul 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I got the page layouts to work ! I needed to go site settings -> Master pages and page layouts (under Web Designer Galleries). There, browse to the page layouts' location and manually publish major versions of them. Thanks for the great upload ! looks and works great so far.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Hi oli8560,

That is an interesting issue. At first I assumed the issue was a known defect in design packages, that being that with HTML page layouts, in the mso:CustomDocumentProperties, there are a few properties that often contain a path to a url that is incorrect. In particular <mso:HtmlDesignFromMaster /> may contain the full url to the original site that package was created from and when you attempt to preview a HTML page layout in a new site, SP throws a general error.

In the packages that we provide with this project, we remove the full domain which helps with many installations but not path based site collections.

As an example, in the HTML page layout banded.html found in Bootstrap for SharePoint 2013, there is a property:

<mso:HtmlDesignFromMaster msdt:dt="string">/_catalogs/masterpage/bootstrap/bootstrap.html, /_catalogs/masterpage/bootstrap/bootstrap.html</mso:HtmlDesignFromMaster>

Originally this would have contained something similar to:

<mso:HtmlDesignFromMaster msdt:dt="string">http://boostrapdev.pixelmill.com/_catalogs/masterpage/bootstrap/bootstrap.html, http://boostrapdev.pixelmill.com/_catalogs/masterpage/bootstrap/bootstrap.html</mso:HtmlDesignFromMaster>

Which would only work in our dev environment. We strip the domain out before we package the project.

Now it is interesting that all you had to do was publish a major version. I have not seen that work before, possibly the design package SP generates is designed for the new SP2013 simplified Master Page Gallery publishing workflow and you changed this? I have seen SP not properly sync a HTML page layout with its aspx page layout before until a publish occurs, but not with a design package. Interesting.

I am glad you were able to fix the issue.

Eric.
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Hi

I got this error using Foundation 2013.
I just install my demo VM
copy the bootstrap folder
set the default master page
and boom, the error appear.
there is no option to publish the content, only checkin, which is done.
but error still here.

any idea?
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Hi Wilgart,

You are installing Bootstrap for SharePoint 2013 into a SharePoint 2013 Foundation Farm correct? With SharePoint Foundation there is no publish so that makes sense. You also used the "Non-publishing" folder which includes bootstrap_nonpublishing.master correct?

I suggest searching in the SharePoint error log for the correlation ID to see if a more specific error is provided. Or turn off the OOTB custom errors so that you can provide more debugging info.

Eric
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM
you right for, I follow the procedure.
I'll try to get more info...
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 of the rrors...
ribbon.ascx missing...

07/10/2013 20:57:20.23 w3wp.exe (0x1650) 0x1AB0 SharePoint Foundation General 8nca Medium Application error when access /SitePages/Home.aspx, Error=The file /_controltemplates/15/Ribbon.ascx does not exist. at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModuleData.GetWebPartPageData(HttpContext context, String path, Boolean throwIfFileNotFound) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPVirtualFile.CalculateFileDependencies(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData basicRequestData, ICollection& directDependencies, ICollection& childDependencies) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPDatabaseFile.EnsureDependencies(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData requestData) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPDatabaseFile.GetDirectDependencies(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData requestData) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPVir... 84d62d9c-1241-700d-9bef-664236c240c4
07/10/2013 20:57:20.23* w3wp.exe (0x1650) 0x1AB0 SharePoint Foundation General 8nca Medium ...tualFile.CalculateFileDependencies(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData basicRequestData, ICollection& directDependencies, ICollection& childDependencies) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPDatabaseFile.EnsureDependencies(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData requestData) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPDatabaseFile.EnsureCacheKeyAndViewStateHash(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData requestData) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPDatabaseFile.GetVirtualPathProviderCacheKey(HttpContext context, SPRequestModuleData requestData) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPVirtualPathProvider.GetCacheKey(String virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultFromCacheInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolea... 84d62d9c-1241-700d-9bef-664236c240c4
07/10/2013 20:57:20.23* w3wp.exe (0x1650) 0x1AB0 SharePoint Foundation General 8nca Medium ...n ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean al... 84d62d9c-1241-700d-9bef-664236c240c4
07/10/2013 20:57:20.23* w3wp.exe (0x1650) 0x1AB0 SharePoint Foundation General 8nca Medium ...lowCrossApp) at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() 84d62d9c-1241-700d-9bef-664236c240c4
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Hi,

"The file /_controltemplates/15/Ribbon.ascx does not exist" That would do it.

Please remove the following from the master page.

<%@Register TagPrefix="PublishingRibbon" TagName="PublishingRibbon" Src="~/_controltemplates/15/Ribbon.ascx"%>

Should be on line 6. Please let me know if this fixes the issue. Or provide a new error that occurs.

Eric.
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I already try this
but I got other errors now.
trimming security error which try to access this control, but not in the page...

when I compare the top references to the seatlle.master page, there is some differences.
does the bootstrap master page was created from the default foundation version of sharepoint?

bootstrap:
<%@Register TagPrefix="SharePoint" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="WebPartPages" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="wssucmui" TagName="MUISelector" Src="~/_controltemplates/15/MUISelector.ascx"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="wssucw" TagName="Welcome" Src="~/_controltemplates/15/Welcome.ascx"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="SharePointWebControls" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="SearchWC" Namespace="Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"%>
<%@Register TagPrefix="PublishingNavigation" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Navigation" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"%>

seatle:
<%@ Register Tagprefix="SharePoint" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %> <%@ Register Tagprefix="Utilities" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %> <%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint" %> <%@ Assembly Name="Microsoft.Web.CommandUI, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages" %>
<%@ Register Tagprefix="WebPartPages" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="Welcome" src="~/_controltemplates/15/Welcome.ascx" %>