This project is read-only.

Using blog layout

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM
how do we use blog page layout? should we create blog template? or do we use regular publishing site and change the layout to blog? can you give us details?

Appreciate that :)
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Hi,

Any foundation site template will not use page layouts as you have noticed, which is a shame. What we did to help make any foundation site responsive was to include an initial row in the master page along with two spans, one for the quick launch and another for the "content". A page layout or a foundation "Text layout" such as the layouts from blogs could then fall into this content span to have "some" responsiveness.

This is not ideal.

Since we cannot easily add bootstrap rows and spans to the blog site template, how about adding bootstrap like styles to the different elements provided OOTB in Blog layout pages? These styles could be added into a seperate stylesheet and then included in the project so that everyone else can contribute and share.

Another solution would be to modify the OOTB blog pages provided to make then much more responsive then save the site as a site template. This should allow you to quickly redeploy a new responsive blog site template as required. Basically you are replacing the OOTB blog template with your own customized one.

I hope this helps.

Eric
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM
but what's the use of Blog Page Layout?
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Hi,

I am not sure I understand the question. In my answer I should have been more clean that with Blog site templates, there are not really specific "page layouts" in the sense of what is included in publishing sites, rather the blog site template includes a few hard-coded pages that provide specific content layout.

Since these pages for blogs already provide their own HTML structure, there is no easy way to integrate all of Bootstrap. Ideally I would recommend recreating all of these pages included in the blog site template so that all of the components of the page correspond to the bootstrap grid. You can then save this site template and use it instead of the OOTB blog site template.

If this falls outside of the scope of your project then how about providing additional styling to Blog pages so that the different areas of the pages react to different viewports?

Eric